Severe kidney disease is also called the end stage renal disease or renal failure wherein the kidneys have lost almost 80 to 95% of its functional capacities. The glomerular filtration rate is as low as 15 ml/min and lower.
Symptoms include appetite loss, nausea or vomiting, headaches, lack of concentration, itching, almost negligible urine, edema around eyes and ankles, muscular cramps, anemia, tingling sensation in hands or feet and increase in pigmentation of skin. The risks of cardiovascular disease are very high in these people.
Is it possible to reverse kidney disease ?
Find the answer here by reading testimonials of successfully curing kidney disease at home using natural remedies & diet control.
Treatment of severe kidney disease is possible through dialysis or kidney transplantation. There are two types of dialysis i.e.
- Hemodialysis: An access is created in the body through which the blood is pumped into a dialysis machine wherein it is filtered and returned back to the system. Access into the blood stream is attained through a fistula, a graft or a catheter. It takes about 3 to 5 hours and needs to be done thrice a week.
- Peritoneal dialysis: This form of dialysis can be done at home, workplace or while sleeping as well. It needs to be done daily. A small catheter is placed in the abdomen through surgery and the abdominal lining acts as a natural filter. A cleansing solution is put into the abdomen through a catheter into which wastes and extra fluid from the blood is absorbed. This is then drained out and new dialysate solution is filled.
Kidney Transplantation: A healthy kidney is placed in the lower abdomen through surgery which takes over the functions of the failed kidneys. Donated kidney can come from a dead person or a living relative. Post transplantation some drugs are prescribed to the patients to enhance acceptability of the transplanted kidney. Dialysis is no longer required.
Dietary modifications : Once the dialysis begins the following dietary restrictions are to be followed:
- You need to avoid whole grains, fruits and vegetables rich in phosphorus and potassium.
- Avoid saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Protein consumption needs to be balanced with the loss during dialysis.
- Special renal vitamins are given.
- Limit consumption of phosphorus to 1000mg, calcium to 2000 mg, vitamin C to 100 mg and potassium to 2000 mg.
- Completely stop taking refined, processed and salty foods.
- Adequate calorie consumption is must to maintain optimal weight and maintain healthy muscles.
Certain patients who are very old or frail choose conservative kidney management as a course of treatment for severe kidney disease. No dialysis or transplantation is done. Only dietary modifications and medications are used to treat the symptoms to enhance their quality of life.
Natural Treatment for Severe kidney disease
Micro-Chinese Medicine Osmotherapy: In traditional Chinese medicine it is used as a natural alternative treatment for kidney failure. Processing of Chinese herbal medicines is done and then they are put into two bags which are kept under the lower back of the patient. The herbal medicines are absorbed directly by the kidneys with the help of an osmosis device. It works by reversing kidney damage and patients can carry on without dialysis.
Improvised Home Remedies
Improvised home remedies for kidney disease found to be effective at this stage.Read more about Research & findings.