Kidney disease occurs as a result of genetic problems, some injury or overreaction to some drugs. Kidney stones, diseases like glomerulonephritis, prostate disease, pin worm infestation of kidney, vasculitis, polycystic kidney disease and hemolytic-uremic syndrome are also the causative factors of kidney disease.
Diabetes, hypertension and genetic predisposition enhance the risks.
Symptoms include increase or decrease in the frequency of urination; urgency to urinate at night; swelling in face, hands or legs; fatigue; epidermal rashes or itching due to deposition of waste material in blood; loss of appetite and a metallic taste in the mouth due to uremia; hyperphosphatemia; hypocalcemia; pain in bones and chest; and accumulation of fluid in the lungs causing shortness of breath.
Natural remedies for kidney disease include:
- A decoction made using cherry flower stalks or dry fruit should be taken thrice a day after the main meals to promote urination. An infusion made using its stem can also be taken thrice a day. By virtue of its diuretic properties it helps to flush out the nitrogenous wastes that get deposited as a result of kidney disease.
- Baking soda: It decreases the pace of progression of chronic kidney disease by neutralizing the acid content in the blood. You can mix a teaspoon of it in a glass of water and drink it regularly.
- Cornsilk: Consume its tea 2 to 3 times a day to treat infection of kidney, reduce chances of stone formation and edema.
- Dandelion: Dandelion roots and leaves decoction is good for correcting kidney disease by virtue of its diuretic properties.
- In Ayurvedic medicine the herb Gokshura is used extensively to maintain effective kidney functioning as it helps in proper urination, reduces kidney discomforts and removes stones. One capsule of 60 to 250 mg strength needs to be taken twice a day after meals.
- Acupuncture is also used to ease the symptoms of chronic kidney disease. It reduces blood pressure, relieves prolonged pain and improves immunity. It helps to delay dialysis.
- Micro-Chinese Medicine Osmotherapy is a natural alternative treatment for kidney failure which is used externally. Processing of Chinese herbal medicines is done and then they are put into two bags which are kept under the lower back of patient. The herbal medicines are absorbed directly by the kidneys with the help of an osmosis device. It works by reversing kidney damage and restoring normal kidney functioning.
- Dietary recommendations: You need to avoid protein rich foods like chicken, red meat, pork, beef and animal organs. Highly salted and processed foods need to be avoided. Avoid high-potassium foods like oranges, bananas, potatoes, spinach and tomatoes. Vegetables like eggplant, garlic, rutabagas, winter squash, beets, lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, celery, peppers and onion should be part of your diet. Rich in the natural enzyme, bromelain, pineapple helps to reduce kidney inflammation as well as prevents deposition of amyloid. When taken along with turmeric its benefits for curing kidney disease doubles up.
Cranberries and cranberry juice are also beneficial in enhancing kidney functioning and regulating the blood pressure. Whole grains like unrefined rice, quinoa and millet as well as low-fat dairy products should be consumed.